Welcome to the 2017 Sunshine Coast Loppet
and Snowshoe Challenge!
and Snowshoe Challenge!
Online registration is now closed. Onsite registration will be available Saturday morning. Please bring exact cash or a cheque.
- The Sunshine Coast Loppet and Snowshoe Challenge will be held at Dakota Ridge Winter Recreation Area on Saturday, February 4th, 2017. The parking area sits just above 1,000m and the trails top-out at 1,200m. On a clear day the views from the 20 km of world-class cross-country ski trails (classic and skate) include the Salish Sea and islands to the west, the North Shore mountains, and Mount Elphinstone. The trails wind through old growth forests and open areas in a beautiful sub-alpine setting. Click on the events for maps of the race courses. The course maps are now current for the 2017 Loppet.
Ski Events:Showshoe Event:Times:
- 10:00 - 12K and 30K races
- 10:15 - 100m fun sprint for kids
- 10:30 - 2.5K and 1K
- 12:00 - 4.5K snowshoe race
Race Fees (prices in brackets after Jan 22nd):
- Adult (19+) $18 ($23)
- Senior (60+) $14 ($18)
- Youth (13-18 yrs) $12 ($15)
- Child (5-12 yrs) $8 ($10)
- Family (up to 2 adults and 4 youth/child) $46 ($56)
Dakota Ridge Day Pass Fees:
- Adult $15
- Senior $10
- Youth (13-18 yrs) $6
- Child (12 and under) FREE
- Family (up to 2 adults and 4 youth) $30
- Employee, Season, or Volunteer Passholders at Whistler Olympic Park, Lost Lake, Manning, or Cypress Mountain (Nordic) can receive a partial discount on their Dakota Ridge day pass by purchasing it IN CASH at Dakota Ridge on February 4th with proof of their season pass.
- warming hut
- feed stations
- ***please note there will not be a concession stand at Dakota Ridge***
- Dakota Ridge Winter Recreation Area is located 14K along a gravel road from the end of Field Rd. in Wilson Creek. A map and driving directions can be downloaded from the SCRD's page for Dakota Ridge. Plan for 45 minutes to get from Field Rd. to the Dakota Ridge parking area.
- The Forest Service Road leading to Dakota Ridge is a gravel road and will be freshly plowed for Loppet day. However, due to the narrowness and steepness of sections of the road it is posted as 4WD/AWD ONLY and mandatory that you carry tire chains. The road tends to ice-up with increased travel and typical melt/freeze cycles during the day. The downhill journey at the end of the day is when chains are critical.
- The Dakota Ridge Facebook page will have current road and trail conditions.
Those without an appropriate vehicle:
- Alpha Adventures Outdoor Adventure Store on Field Rd. in Wilson Creek will be operating a shuttle service for an additional fee. There will be a limited number of seats available on a limited number of shuttles. Book shuttle space early and guarantee your ride!
- There will also be carpooling opportunities organized as ride offers and ride requests come in through the online loppet registration. If you need or have space please register early so ride-sharing can be coordinated.
- You will have to take a ferry from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver to Langdale on the Sunshine Coast. From Langdale it takes about 30 mins to get to Field Rd. in Wilson Creek.
- Those planning to travel on the Saturday will have to take either the 6:20am or 7:20am ferry (note that the Horseshoe Bay-Langdale route is on a temporary hourly schedule). Race start times have been set to accommodate 7:20am ferry travel so participants should be able to make 10am races.
- The 5:35am sailing would get you there in plenty of time for 10am races.
To register for the Sunshine Coast Loppet online and pay by credit card please go to our Zone4 Registration Form.
If you wish to register or pay a different way please contact us by email.
race questions: 604 740 0857
registration questions: 604 740 1822